The State of Ohio is an ideal destination for your neurotechnology company, boasting an established infrastructure, a statewide commitment to global neurotechnology leadership, and a low cost of doing business....now augmented by NIT.
OHIO boasts an already-fertile neurotech innovation infrastructure:
- Globally recognized, leading Neuroscientists and Clinicians: Ohio boasts an existing concentration of neurotechnology innovators across the entire Ohio medical corridor who rank among global experts. The State has created the Ohio Clinical Trials Collaborative with unique capabilities in the neurosciences.
- World-Class Research: 5 institutions--The Ohio State University, the Cleveland Clinic, Case Western Reserve University, University of Cincinnati, and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital rank in the top 100 National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding recipients. And, Ohio is home to the sponsorship of 16% of clinical trials performed in the U.S., with 4,640 active and recruiting studies as of February 2015.
- Nationally Recognized Clinical Care Excellence: Truven Health Analytics (formerly Thomson Reuters) recognized 9 Ohio facilities among the “Top 100 Hospitals,” including 2 of 14 National winners of the Everest Award.
- A thriving bioscience and medical device ecosystem: Ohio is home to 1,624 bioscience firms, with over 400 focused on medical devices & equipment.
- Manufacturing and Supply chain prowess, based upon a deep tradition: Ohio’s economy is built upon a tradition of manufacturing. An Ohio Department of Development report in 2010 found Ohio to be the fifth-greatest source of manufactured goods in America. From the processing of raw materials to finely tuned products, Ohio’s 21,000+ manufacturing companies range from iron, rubber, automotive and consumer electronics to advanced manufacturing of medical devices, clinical equipment, pharmaceuticals, nutritional supplements, and diagnostic test kits. The above thriving bioscience and medical device ecosystem leverages an extensive supply chain within Ohio of over 2,100 suppliers and service providers. In fact, there are more than 60 ISO 13485 certified manufacturers operating in Ohio.
- Medical Device Contract Manufacturing, Design, R&D: Ohio has a heritage of product development and manufacturing. There are over 50 medical device contract manufacturing and design companies with such diverse skills as: polymer development, plastic injection molding, precision medical component manufacturing, electromechanical assembly and specialty manufacturing and packaging.
- Comprehensive prowess in Imaging and Informatics: Ohio institutions, led by the Ohio State University, boast state-of-the-art on-site imaging capabilities that include functional MRI scanning, ultra–high field 7T MRI, and PET-CT. Not to mention resources including the Ohio Supercomputer Center, and OSCnet, a stone’s throw from NIT, which feature ultra- high performance computing and networking, and a 1,600-mile fiber optics network, making it the most advanced research and education network in the nation.
- See more at BioOhio.
Bolstered by a statewide commitment to global leadership in neurotechnology: The State of Ohio is committed to a goal of global leadership in neurotechnology—evidenced by the Ohio Development Services Agency’s $21 million Third Frontier Grant award directed to NIT, which has now provided an additional spark to initiate a Center to augment the already established statewide infrastructure. NIT has also attracted additional Partners’ resources to the State, spanning strategic partners such as Medtronic, top Silicon Valley and East Coast venture capital collaborators, and global clinical and technology partners.
With a lower cost of doing business, and a lower cost of living: Your company’s capital is king, and your capital goes where it matters in Ohio--building value for your companies. Columbus is affordable, with a cost of living almost half that of San Francisco [CNN.com].
NIT augments Ohio’s established neurotech foundation with concentrated, contiguous co-located neurotech development resources. NIT will channel and augment Ohio’s infrastructure in an environment and ecosystem that best encourages neurotechnology development, creating, attracting, developing and nurturing these companies to grow and prosper in Ohio. NIT brings the vision, leadership, and significant critical mass and resources into focus-- concentrated for maximum development efficiency. NIT, as a Center, boasts comprehensive on-site capabilities with many of our network of partners within walking distance, enabling our companies to access world class resources for R&D, clinical studies, engineering and marketing. The Center sits in a commercial building contiguous with one of our Partners, Battelle, as well as a stone’s throw from the Ohio State University, the University’s Wexner Medical Center, and its world class Center for Neuromodulation. As partners to the center, NIT can access resources from both that include dedicated services and cash cost support to NIT Companies. For example, at OSU, NIT Companies will enjoy access to campus-wide services and support spanning the entire University, including the Colleges and Offices of Medicine, Research, Engineering, Veterinary Medicine, Business and the OSU Supercomputing Center.
…and when your company seeks more, NIT boasts additional committed Partners, just a short drive away and throughout the state of Ohio.